The Morning Program
• A Healthy Meal: Each morning we offer a source of protein, multiple fresh fruit options and low sugar cereals. Hard-boiled eggs, oatmeal with fruit and whole-wheat bagels are just some of the options on the menu.
• Daily Academic Focus: Each morning children work with a tutor on homework or reading. This daily commitment builds strong academic habits and builds the student’s confidence in their ability to succeed.
• Relational Connections: Each morning a diverse team of tutors (Northwestern students, teachers, parent and community volunteers) provides social and emotional support in addition to academic help. Tutors spend time building relationships with individual students and affirming the child’s deep value and potential.
Summer Reading Program
In the Summer of 2015:
• 55 students participated in our summer programs
• Over 1,000 books were mailed to B&B students at 2 week intervals
• 25 Adult Volunteer Reading buddies mailed packages and wrote to students throughout Summer